1. Using a whisk or mixer, mix the brown sugar with the butter, egg and vanilla.
2. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
3. Add the dry ingredients and pumpkin and milk puree mixture to the brown sugar mix. Alternate ingredients added 4 to 5 times, mixing after each addition. Add shredded coconut and mix.
4. Pour the mixture into a rectangular bread mould, buttered and floured beforehand. Spread mixture evenly.
5. Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool.
6. In a pan heated on high, sauté the apples in butter for about 2 minutes.
7. Add the caramel and cream and mix thoroughly. Lower heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes while stirring continuously. Keep warm.
8. Cut the cake into thick slices. In a pan, brown slices in butter on each side on medium-high heat.
9. Serve a slice of cake per person, topped with the caramel apple mixture.
* Pumpkin puree
To make pumpkin puree, cut a small pumpkin in two and remove seeds. Place the cut side face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F until a knife blade can be inserted easily. Cool and remove flesh with a spoon. Place in containers and freeze surplus for other recipes, such as soup bases or to add to mashed potatoes.
The cake is a rather massive, rectangular shaped dessert that resembles a pound cake.