Ice cider glazed chicken
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 (3 lb) whole chicken from Poulet d’Amours et Fils
½ cup (125 ml) Asian soya sauce, Kikkoman type
½ cup (125 ml) maple syrup
2 tbsp (30 ml) cider vinegar
1 cup (250ml) ice cider
2 pieces of ginger (equivalent to 2 garlic cloves)
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 hot pepper (optional)
¼ tsp (1 ml) Chinese five spices
1. In a pot, mix all ingredients except the Chinese five spices and bring to boil for 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat, add the five spices and let cool.
3. Remove the skin from the chicken and flatten chicken (use scissors to cut the chicken in two from the back).
4. Pour the glaze into an ovenproof baking dish and place chicken, breast down, to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour (do not marinate longer because glaze will toughen the meat).
5. Turn the chicken, breast up, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in an oven at 350°F for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. While baking, baste the chicken with glaze every 20 minutes.