Apple, ice cider and maple bread pudding
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
5 cups (325 g) multigrain crusty bread from Garde-manger de François
1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
2 medium-sized McIntosh or Spartan apples, diced
¼ cup (60 ml) ice cider
1 ¼ cups (315 ml) milk
½ pod fresh vanilla
1 tsp (5 ml) Chinese five spices
½ cup (75 g) maple sugar
2 large eggs
1 drizzle ice cider
To taste maple syrup
1. Cut the bread into cubes and place in a buttered, 8-inch baking dish.
2. In a pan on high, brown the diced apple in butter for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the cider. Let the diced apple completely absorb the cider. Remove from heat and spread evenly over the bread.
4. Heat the milk on low until it steams. Add vanilla and Chinese five spices.
5. In a bowl, beat together the eggs and maple sugar. Add hot milk gradually, continuing to beat.
6. Pour this mixture over the apples and bread. Let stand 5 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the mixture.
7. Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the pudding is golden-coloured.
8. Remove from oven and drizzle immediately with ice cider. Serve hot, topped with maple syrup.